Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Night in the Desert part Three

I really like this photo...I put it in black and white and it just jumped out at me. It is a creosote branch against the Desert night sky. To me it captures the essence of desert life. Sparse yet strong in its own way. It speaks to the beauty this Desert has while being simple at the same time. I hope you enjoy it as well.
Now this picture may not look like much...more like another hole in the ground but open it up and look carefully at what is inside the hole. It is a female Tucson Blond Tarantula awaiting something, its evening meal or mate...maybe both depending on her mood, to cross her door. I have never seen one in the wild and was excited to find her...it was by accident. Again, I was outside oh about 3am and saw her.....so I watched carefully and saw where she went.....I gave her some time and went back and there she is sitting in her burrow. Females can live many years and create burrows and that have just the right amount of moisture so they don't dry out. The males are the ones we currently see roaming the streets looking for love. If you scroll through my Blog you will see one.....he was probably looking for her the night I came across him......don't know if they met but she seems nice.......for a tarantula that is.

C
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Foxglove Studios said...

Nice shot of the creosote. B&W has a special appeal.

Do you think the tarantula is a natural blond?

Michelle said...

I don't know about her natural color...her eyebrows aren't blond.

Chris Size said...

As far as her natural blond color....I think it is just sun bleached.....and I couldn't tell from her eyebrows.....thanks for reading....love the comments.