Monday, August 11, 2008

The Long Lonely Road to Love.....


One night after a brief rain I was walking my property and noticed a creature on a long lonely road looking for love. Above is a male of the Tucson Blond Tarantula out looking for a mate. I even tried to pick him up, yes they are friendly despite what everyone says about them, but he was just interested in staying on his journey.

The males seek out the females....the females keep burrows and sometimes can live up to twenty years sometimes in the same burrow...the males...not so lucky. Once they do their final molt they become sexually mature and will mate then die. Sad but true....their two front legs change so they can mate and are unable to eat and if they are accepted by the female then success and a new crop of babies will be produced.....if not he could end up as dinner. I guess with that in mind who could eat. I couldn't knowing I could be my mates midnight snack......but if you got to go then it might as well be while mating and he was intent on finding his mate. I hope he did.

If you see them know that they are looking for love....sometimes in the wrong places but are really fragile and won't bother you because they are on that long lonely road to love.

C
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Susie R said...

That's a nice specimen...looks healthy...hope he found his lite 'o love....